Resources for Gardeners
- Yahoo Email list - An email list for current/active gardeners. Get garden news and chat with other gardeners. When you join the garden we will invite you to the list, but in case you’ve fallen off this link will send us a request to subscribe. This email group is for current gardeners only.
- The Trustees of Resevations, our parent organization
- UMass Soil Testing. Get your soil sampled for nutrients, metals and organic compounds. An excellent test to do every other year in early Spring before planting (Feb/March). It is recommended to order a Routine Soil Analysis, which includes a test of lead levels. You can add Soil Organic Matter test for additional information on soil conditions. Under Ordering Information you could chose the Routine Soil Analysis form for Home Gardening.
- A great chart of what to plant when here in Boston (gardening zone 6A)
- The Farmers Almanac tells us when we should start planting, indoors and outdoors…
Local garden centers
- Local farmers markets - once they start and throughout the summer, both the South End and Copley farmers markets carry plants that will do well in your garden
- Pemberton Farms in Cambridge - short walk from Davis, and on-site parking available. Both veggies and an array of flowering plants
- Mahoney's - Western Ave in Brighton.
- Home Depot - While we love Home Depot, their plants are usually sold out of season, and are not always in the best condition. But they are close by and good in a pinch.
Local phone numbers
- Emergencies: 911
- Emergencies from a cell phone: 617-343-4911 This is important - calling 9-1-1 from a cell phone will connect you to state police. calling 617-3434-911 will connect you to Boston police. Program it into your cell phone now while it’s on your mind
- Pine Street 24-hour telephone number: 617-521-7201
- Area D Community Services: 617-343-4457
- Area D community liaison Sgt. Taxter
If you know of any web site, discussion board, or any other online gardening resource that you think is great, let us know and we’ll add it to this page!